Weekend or Holiday Events have evolved into a quintessential American food BBQ day, celebrated by millions across the country for its fusion of sports, entertainment, gathering of family and friends, and has become a cultural significance.
It transcends mere American football, as it serves as a unifying event that brings together people from all walks of life, regardless of age, background, or geographical location. From the iconic halftime show performances to the highly anticipated commercials, the Weekend or Holiday Event embodies the spirit of American ingenuity and creativity.
It's a day when friends and families gather around the television, indulging in food, camaraderie, and the shared experience of witnessing one of the biggest sporting events on the planet.
But why can't the food match the significance of the event and a higher quality of foods be served as part of our national culinary culture, as well? It would certainly be healthier than the fast food, fatty food, and chips and salsa.
Weekend or Holiday Events are calling for a delicious food as our new culinary delight. Finger foods that satisfy cravings without sacrificing health.
Let's whip up a spread of tasty and nutritious options for the whole family to enjoy, like veggie skewers with hummus dip, baked sweet potato fries seasoned with herbs and spices, air-fried chicken wings coated in a tangy sriracha glaze, and homemade guacamole served with whole-grain tortilla chips.
For a sweet treat, offer fruit kabobs drizzled with a light honey yogurt sauce. These wholesome alternatives to traditional high-fat, high-cholesterol junk food will keep everyone fueled up and feeling great throughout the game day festivities.
Alternative Weekend or Holiday Event food options that are tasty and healthy
If you’re following a certain diet or trying to eat healthier, we have tried to offer you a few options that you would really enjoy and ones that everyone can still indulge.
Everyone knows the usual healthy food alternative for Weekend or Holiday Event: Sushi
We’ve included options that we took from every diet, like keto, vegan, gluten-free, low-processed food options, low-oil, and low-carb finger foods.
There are many options from keto taco cups, bell pepper nachos, bunless burger bites, or keto chicken puffs. Air fryer loaded zucchini skins, cauliflower hummus, and even low-oil fried Buffalo artichoke hearts.
Either way, we wish you a wonderful Weekend or Holiday Event with your family and friends and hope that we offer a few options below to give you some ideas on how you can have fun, enjoy your food, while staying true to your diet and lose weight and stay healthier.
AND, at the next Weekend or Holiday Event, you may even try these at other gatherings with your friends and enjoy tasty, healthy food, all year round.
- Keto Taco Cups
- Step 1: Healthy Keto Taco Cups are a delicious and satisfying twist on traditional tacos, perfect for Weekend or Holiday Event or any gathering. Begin by preheating the oven to 375°F (190°C) and prepare a muffin tin with non-stick spray. In a skillet over medium heat, cook lean ground turkey or chicken with taco seasoning until fully cooked.
- Step 2: Prepare the taco cup shells by cutting low-carb tortillas into small circles that fit into the muffin tin cups. Press the tortilla circles into the muffin tin cups, forming a cup shape. Once the meat is cooked, spoon it evenly into each tortilla cup. Top with shredded cheese and diced bell peppers. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the tortilla cups are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving with your favorite keto-friendly toppings such as avocado, salsa, sour cream, or shredded lettuce. These Keto Taco Cups are not only delicious and satisfying but also low in carbs and packed with protein, making them a healthier option for game day snacking.
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
- Step 1: Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower is a delicious alternative to traditional buffalo wings, perfect for Weekend or Holiday Event or any occasion. Start by preheating your air fryer to 375°F (190°C). In a bowl, whisk together a mixture of almond flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Toss cauliflower florets in the almond flour mixture until evenly coated. Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place the cauliflower florets in a single layer, ensuring they are not overcrowded. Air fry for 15-20 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through, until the cauliflower is golden and crispy.
- Step 2: In a separate bowl, combine melted butter and buffalo sauce. Once the cauliflower is cooked, transfer it to a large bowl and toss with the buffalo sauce mixture until evenly coated. Serve hot with celery sticks and ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping. This healthier version of buffalo cauliflower delivers the same tangy and spicy flavor as traditional wings but with less fat and calories, making it a guilt-free snack option for game day.
- Creamy Avocado Dip
- Step 1: A classic party dip, Creamy Avocado Dip, is perfect for Weekend or Holiday Event or any gathering. Start by scooping the flesh of ripe avocados into a bowl and mashing them until smooth. Add in Greek yogurt, minced garlic, lime juice, chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Step 2: add a dash of hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne pepper. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve the dip with a variety of veggie sticks such as carrot, cucumber, bell pepper, and celery, or with whole-grain pita chips or crackers for dipping. This creamy avocado dip is packed with healthy fats, fiber, and vitamins, making it a nutritious and delicious option for game day snacking.
- Bell Pepper Nachos
- Step 1: For a healthier take on traditional nachos, try making Bell Pepper Nachos, perfect for Weekend or Holiday Event or any occasion. Start by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice bell peppers in half and remove the seeds and membranes. Place the bell pepper halves on the prepared baking sheet, cut side up. In a bowl, mix together cooked lean ground turkey or chicken with taco seasoning.
- Step 2: Spoon the seasoned meat mixture into each bell pepper half. Top with shredded cheese and any other desired toppings such as diced tomatoes, black beans, jalapeños, and sliced olives. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from the oven and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and a dollop of Greek yogurt or salsa, if desired. These Bell Pepper Nachos are loaded with protein, fiber, and vitamins, making them a nutritious and delicious alternative to traditional nachos that everyone will love.
- Cauliflower Hummus
- Step 1: For a nutritious twist on traditional hummus, try making Cauliflower Hummus, perfect for Weekend or Holiday Event or any gathering. Begin by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C). Cut a head of cauliflower into florets and spread them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the cauliflower in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until tender and golden brown.
Step 2: Allow the cauliflower to cool slightly, then transfer it to a food processor along with tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, and a splash of water. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Adjust seasoning to taste, adding more lemon juice or salt if desired. Serve the cauliflower hummus with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of paprika, alongside veggie sticks, whole-grain crackers, or pita bread for dipping. This healthy cauliflower hummus is rich in fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants, making it a delicious and nutritious snack option for any occasion.
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté diced onions and minced garlic until softened. Add chopped spinach and cook until wilted. Stir in chopped artichoke hearts, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and vegetable broth. Cook for a few minutes until heated through and flavors are well combined. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Step 2: Add a splash of non-dairy milk to achieve the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the dip to a baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through and lightly golden on top. Serve the vegan spinach artichoke dip warm with sliced vegetables, whole-grain crackers, or pita bread for dipping. This healthy and flavorful dip is packed with nutrients and plant-based goodness, making it a crowd-pleasing option for any occasion.
- Lightly Coated Parmesan Asparagus Fries, Air Fried
- Step 1: Delicious snack or side dish: Lightly Coated Parmesan Asparagus Fries air-fried to perfection. Begin by preheating your air fryer to 400°F (200°C). Trim the woody ends off fresh asparagus spears and cut them into manageable "fry" shapes. In a shallow dish, combine whole grain breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. In another dish, lightly beat an egg.
- Step 2: Dip each asparagus spear first into the beaten egg and then into the breadcrumb mixture, ensuring they're evenly coated. Place the coated asparagus spears in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure they're not touching. Air fry for 8-10 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through, until the asparagus fries are crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately with a side of marinara sauce or your favorite dipping sauce. These lightly coated Parmesan asparagus fries are a healthy and flavorful alternative to traditional fries, packed with fiber, vitamins, and nutrients, making them perfect for guilt-free snacking on Weekend or Holiday Event or any occasion.
- Honey Garlic Cauliflower
- Step 1: For a healthier take on a sweet and savory treat, try making Honey Garlic Cauliflower, perfect for Weekend or Holiday Event or any gathering. Start by preheating your oven to 425°F (220°C) and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut a head of cauliflower into bite-sized florets and place them on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk together low-sodium soy sauce, minced garlic, honey (or a natural sweetener like maple syrup for a vegan option), and a dash of sesame oil.
- Step 2: Pour the sauce over the cauliflower florets and toss until evenly coated. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and caramelized, tossing halfway through to ensure even cooking. Once done, garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds for added flavor and presentation. Serve the honey garlic cauliflower as a tasty appetizer or side dish. This healthy alternative to traditional fried chicken wings is packed with flavor and nutrients, making it a crowd-pleasing option for any occasion.
- Keto-friendly appetizer: Keto Chicken Puffs
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl, combine cooked shredded chicken breast with softened cream cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, and chopped fresh parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir until well combined. Roll out a sheet of low-carb puff pastry dough (made with almond flour or coconut flour) on a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into squares or rectangles, depending on your preference for the size of the puffs.
- Step 2: Place a spoonful of the chicken mixture onto each piece of dough. Fold the dough over the filling to create a puff, pressing the edges to seal. Place the chicken puffs onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with beaten egg for a golden finish. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the puffs are golden brown and cooked through. Serve the keto chicken puffs warm with your favorite dipping sauce or enjoy them on their own. These healthy chicken puffs are high in protein, low in carbs, and full of flavor, making them a satisfying snack or appetizer option for anyone following a keto diet.
- 2 Unique deserts: 1) Fresh Apple Squares, 2) Dried-Fruit Apricot Cinnamon Squares
- Fresh Apple Squares: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a baking dish. In a mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. In another bowl, whisk together unsweetened applesauce, maple syrup or honey, and a splash of vanilla extract. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until well combined. Fold in diced apples until evenly distributed throughout the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the apple squares to cool slightly before slicing into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature. These fresh apple squares are a healthy and delicious dessert or snack option, packed with fiber, vitamins, and natural sweetness from the apples and maple syrup, making them a crowd-pleasing choice for everyone to enjoy.
- Dried-Fruit Apricot Cinnamon Squares: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and greasing a baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, oats, ground cinnamon, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. In another bowl, mix together unsweetened applesauce, honey or maple syrup, and a splash of vanilla extract. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until well combined. Fold in chopped dried apricots and any other dried fruits of your choice, such as raisins or cranberries. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the squares to cool slightly before slicing into squares or bars. Serve as a nutritious snack or dessert option. These dried-fruit apricot cinnamon squares are packed with fiber, vitamins, and natural sweetness from the dried fruits and honey, making them a satisfying and wholesome treat for any occasion.